What is the cost to see a Registered Clinical Counsellor?
- Individual Session (50 mins) $126 – includes 5% GST
- Family Session (50-60 mins) $132 – includes 5% GST (Family sessions generally take more time, and include 2 people in the room, such as a parent and teen together)
Payment is normally expected at the time of service. We accept VISA, MasterCard, e-transfer cash or cheques. The cost per session is within the guidelines suggested by the British Columbia Association of Clinical Counsellors, please click here for a detailed list of fees.
Will counsellors be covered under MSP or extended health?
Regrettably, counselling services are not covered by the Medical Service Plan (MSP). You may have Extended Health Benefits coverage. Your Extended Health Benefits brochure will be explicit on whether psychological and counselling services are covered by a Registered Clinical Counsellor. We will issue a receipt to you to forward to your Extended Health Benefits Plan for reimbursement or to retain as a medical expense for income tax purposes, if applicable in your case.
What happens during the first initial session?
- During the first session, we review confidentiality, discuss your reasons for counselling and set up a mutual treatment plan tailored to your needs.
- For couples/Families, each individual has a full or part session alone, and after the individual concerns are brought up and discussed, a joint session is conducted.
What should I expect from treatment?
- Therapy is completely private – with the exception of certain situations – as a client, you can speak freely about things you are afraid of, things that might embarrass you or stir up other emotions.
- As a counsellor, I am trained to see patterns that are good and patterns that are not working. I am trained to safety address these patterns to you, then together we can employ strategies to identify and avoid patterns that are not working.
- I may have ideas or recommendations about strategies, but primarily I will help you figure things out for yourself. I can help you discover your own solutions and teach you to remember that pathway so you can find it when you need it again. I will encourage self-reflection and empower your strengths. In treatment, you get safe and supportive feedback while discovering new skills and reflections at your own pace.
- Overall, therapy is an active process; this process requires courage, openness, and discipline. For example, as a counsellor I can share relevant strategies with you to overcome anxiety, however if you choose not to practice them you may not see result